Who doesn't love a good pancake, right? The sweet taste, the incredible texture... it's no wonder that this simple breakfast has been a staple since the beginning of time.
Don't believe us? The first recorded mention of pancakes dates back to 600 BC ancient Greece and comes from the poet Cratinus who described warm pancakes in one of his writings. Yum.
But it wasn't just the Greeks that loved this sweet treat. Scientists believe pancakes go back so MUCH farther than that.
"Analyses of starch grains on 30,000-year-old grinding tools suggest that Stone Age cooks were making flour out of cattails and ferns—which, researchers guess, was likely mixed with water and baked on a hot, possibly greased, rock." (Source: The History of Pancakes by Nat Geo)
That's right - cavemen ate pancakes, which makes them pretty primal.
But, the pancakes of our ancestors are not the pancakes of today. From low quality pre-made mixes and ingredients, to the societal attitudes towards breakfast, especially carb-heavy ones, in general - pancakes kind of have a bad rap.
Look, the reality is, everyone deserves a pancake every now and then and as long as you are focusing on high-quality ingredients, go ahead and indulge a little. Plus, with our Crucial Four ingredients at the forefront of this recipe, you can eat them guilt-free knowing that you have the best ingredients - the cavemen would be proud!
- 1/2 cup organic unbleached flour or gluten-free oat flour
- 1/4 cup mBreakfast
- 1/4 tsp of mMinerals or mSalt
- 1 tsp Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk (Milk Alternatives like Coconut or Goat are also great!)
- 1 tbsp of grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- Stevia or Your favorite sweetener alternative to taste
- Mix all of your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients and add to dry mix.
- Let Mixture sit for 5 minuets to thicken.
- Heat skillet to medium heat
- Grease pan to avoid sticking (we use coconut oil)
- Cook until slightly brown (2 to 2 1/2 minuets)
- Flip and cook other side
- Optional: Top with your favorite fruits, honey or even peanut butter!
- And don't forget to Enjoy!
Let us know what you think about the recipe and be sure to tag us on social if you decide to make them! We would love to share them!