It's ridiculously easy in today's world to eat an unhealthy diet. Many of the most convenient food options – like fast food or pre-made meals – are also the worst for your body. Eating healthy isn't too difficult, but it does take some effort to change your eating patterns
So why bother?
There are several benefits to healthy eating, including improvements in your overall health and well being. For men in particular, there are three reasons to eat healthy that stand-out from the rest.
Reason 1: Stop Heart Disease
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women, but men are more likely to have a heart attack at a younger age
. To help protect your heart, make sure your diet includes heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, whole grains, and antioxidants.
Reason 2: Put On Muscle
Men tend to store fat around their midsection, which isn't healthy for your internal organs
. Switching your diet to cut back on unhealthy fats and add-in lean proteins will help your body put on muscle instead of fat and keep you at a healthy weight. This is a good idea no matter what your fitness goals are.
Reason 3: Enjoy Better Sex
What you eat directly affects sexual health. And eating the right foods can boost testosterone production, increase fertility, and combat erectile dysfunction. Foods that contain selenium, act as natural androgen, and/or increase blood flow are easy to add to your diet and can have a big impact on your sex life.
Start Eating These Foods
There are a variety of ways you can change eating habits to support your health as a man. Most nutrition recommendations are based on studies of men's health needs, so following those guidelines give you a good place to start. Also, pay attention to where you're sourcing your food from and always opt for organic when you can. Here's a list of recommended foods to help you get started:
- Berries, cherries, and pomegranates (antioxidants; increased blood flow)
- Brazil nuts (selenium)
- Carrots (increased fertility)
- Chocolate containing at least 70% cacao (antioxidants)
- Eggs (protein)
- Fish like salmon, mackerel, tuna, and sardines (omega-3 fatty acids; protein)
- Flaxseed oil (omega 3 fatty acids)
- Hemp powder (omega 3 fatty acids; protein)
- Maca (adaptogen that increases libido)
- Organic meats including lean beef and poultry (protein)
- Pine pollen (nutrient-rich androgen)
- Quinoa (protein; whole grain)
- Spinach (nutrient rich; increased blood flow)
- Walnuts (omega 3 fatty acids; protein)
- Whole wheat, rice, oats etc, (whole grains)
Switching to a diet that fills your nutrition needs as a man leads to a healthier and more enjoyable life. Eating healthy takes some effort, but I think you'll find that it's well worth it.